Missenden Abbey has a history of over 800 years. It was founded in 1133 by a group of Augustinian Cannons from Arrouaise in Northern France. It was particularly favoured by Henry III who accepted the Abbot’s hospitality on a number of occasions. At the dissolution of the monastery the land was forfeited to the crown and was left by Henry VIII to his daughter, the Princess Elizabeth.
Following a major fire in 1985, the entire interior was gutted and faithfully restored to its earlier splendor. The restoration was completed in 1988, when the new building was officially reopened by HRH the Duke of Gloucester. Missenden Abbey has been owned by Buckinghamshire New University since the 1990s.
For detailed directions and a map of the location please click here.
Limited on- site parking is available.
Venue Contact Information
Telephone: 0 1494 866 811